Satsuma City Schools
The mission of Satsuma City School Nurses is to provide quality nursing care to enhance the educational potential of all students by reducing health-related barriers and by promoting health and wellness in a safe and supportive environment.
Students will have optimal health and will be educated in a healthy and safe environment while establishing lifelong healthy behaviors.
Healthy students make healthy choices.
HEALTH SERVICES PROGRAM
The School Health Services Department provides assistance to students and staff in the areas of health services and health education in a healthy environment. The role of the school nurse within this program is to strengthen the educational process of our students by assisting them to improve or adapt to their health status. The school nurse will promote wellness and disease prevention by early intervention and identification of health problems that interfere with learning.
School nurses are key members of the education team who keep students healthy, safe, and ready to learn. The registered nurses are responsible for supervising the licensed practical nurses that are employed within the school system to ensure healthy outcomes for our students.
The School Health Services Department includes programs consisting of the following:
Health Assessment and Care
- Vision Screening
- Hearing screening
- Dental Screening
- Scoliosis Screening
- Blood Pressure Screening
- Growth and Development Screening
- Illness and Injury Assessment and Interventions
- Nursing procedures such as: tracheotomy care, gastrostomy feeding, catheterizations, blood sugar testing, insulin administration, nebulizer treatments, Diastat administration, injections
- Chronic Disease Management and Education
- Identification, Assessment, Intervention and Evaluation of Student Health concerns
- Emergency and Individual Health Care Plans for students with health concerns
- Physical Exams
- Referrals to parents, agencies, and medical providers as needed
- Assessment, Interventions and Referrals for students with mental health needs
- Medication Administration and Training
- Delegation of the task of administering medications to students
- Diabetes care and Training
First Aid and Safety
- First aid room inspection
- First aid and CPR training
- Identification of health and safety concerns in the school environment
- Sports physical review
- First Aid support for all school sponsored activities
- Accident reporting review
Communicable Disease Control
- Distribution of regulations for Communicable Disease Control to all schools for each teacher and first aid rooms.
- Screening, assessment and intervention for communicable diseases.
- Review Communicable Disease Reports
- Liaison between the school system, Mobile County Health Department, parents and health care providers.
- Monitoring of compliance with the state of Alabama immunization law.
- Health Education
- Communicable Disease Prevention
- Hand washing
- Growth and Development
- Dental Health
- Standard Precautions
- Other Health related topics as needed on request.
- Child abuse
- Threatened suicide
- Threatened violence
- Medication overdoses
- Serious illnesses
- Grief counseling
Special Education Support
- Vision and hearing clearance before psychological testing.
- IEP meeting participation and consultation.
- OHI participation and consultation.
- 504 meeting participation and consultation
- Special Olympics: assisting with physicals and first aid support
- Special Procedures
- Bus transportation and field trips with medically fragile students.
- Blood pressure screening and referrals
- First Aid
- Flu prevention
- Coordination of yearly health physicals as needed