Per Alabama's School Immunization Law section 16-30-4, Satsuma City Schools require all students to have a valid Certificate of Immunization (COI) -previously known as "blue cards" or a Certificate of Religious Exemption on file before attending class each school year. All required immunizations must be printed on Alabama Department of Public Health (ADPH) approved forms. Handwritten certificates will not be accepted. If vaccines are not up-to-date, parents/guardians should follow up with their primary care provider or county health department.

    Satsuma City Schools keep the COIs on file for returning students. An updated COI is not required each year for returning students unless the student is entering PreK, kindergarten, or 6th grade, or has an expired COI. Upon withdrawal from a Satsuma City School, the COI on file will be returned to the parent or guardian. Graduating seniors will be given their COI on file at the end of their senior year. Contact your school nurse if a copy of a COI is needed during the school year.

    Religious Exemptions 

    The Certificate of Religious Exemption can only be issued by an Alabama county health department. Religious exemptions can only be issued to kindergarten through 12th grade, not to institutions of higher learning.  For additional information, call the Mobile County Health Department at (251) 690-8923.

    Medical Exemptions

    A licensed physician must provide documentation for a student's exemption from the required immunizations. The Certificate of Medical Exemption will be accepted only on forms approved by the ADPH. 

    Students Entering 6th Grade

    The ADPH requires all students aged 11 or older entering the 6th grade in Alabama to receive a booster dose of Tetanus-Diphtheria/Pertussis (Tdap). Pertussis is very contagious and is spread through moisture droplets in the air caused by coughing and sneezing. Adults and older children can spread Pertussis to babies, which can lead to serious illness, causing hospitalization, and even death. If your child has not reached their 11th birthday by the first day of 6th grade, please make prior arrangements for your child to receive the Tdap within a week after their 11th birthday.  A new Alabama Department of Public Health Certificate of Immunization will be required.

    The Alabama Department of Public Health recommends your child receive the following additional vaccines for this age. These vaccines are not required for school entry. 

    • HPV (Human Papilloma Virus)
    • Meningococcal (Meningitis)

    Out-of-State/Out-of-Country New Students

    All immunizations required by the Alabama Immunization Law must be transferred to an Alabama Certificate of Immunization (COI). Follow up with a primary care physician or an Alabama county health department to determine if your child requires a mandatory vaccine.

    Don't Delay! Schedule Your Child's Vaccinations!


    For more information on immunization requirements in Alabama schools, contact the Mobile County Health Department at (251) 690-8889 or your primary care physician.